Determine Which Contractor You Can Count On
A home is one of the largest investments which Americans make and it is also one of the most important. Remodels and renovations will enhance the value of your home. Here are some tips to help you determine which contractor you can count on, to professionally complete your next project.
Before hiring a contractor:
- Always check their State Labor & Industries report to ensure they are reporting their workers and acting safely.
- If your home was built before 1978, before beginning work, contractors must provide owners, tenants, and child-care facilities with a copy of EPA’s lead hazard information pamphlet, Renovate Right brochure
- Check with the EPA to ensure your contractor is certified as a Lead Renovator and registered as a Certified Firm.
- Ask for references, testimonials, and/or client replies from their prior clients. Testimonials
- Check their experience and knowledge base, reliability, and credibility to ensure they are prepared to handle your project.
- Ensure they have a network of resources to assist you with the needs of your project.
- Select a professional remodeler with experience in your project. Remember, lowest price does not ensure a successful remodeling project.
- Ensure that your job meets or exceeds applicable building codes and regulations.
- Check the contractor’s insurance to protect yourself against underinsured or non-insured contractors.
- Select a remodeling contractor that is a member and involved in their local building industry, such as the Master Builders Association of King & Snohomish County.
Learn more about the IronsWay